Carrot cake is the best of all the cakes. (In my opinion, at least!) This loaf cake recipe is quick, easy, and most importantly – tasty!
This recipe takes around 20mins to prepare and 1 hour 15mins to bake.
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf)
- Vegetable oil (140ml)
- 2 eggs
- Light brown sugar (200g)
- Grated carrots (300g)
- Raisins (100g)
- Self raising flour (180g)
- A pinch of salt
- ½ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Cream cheese (180g)
- Butter (40g)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Icing sugar (200g)
- Zest of one lemon and one orange
Making the mixture
- Set the oven to 150degC (fan).
- First, line a standard sized loaf tin with grease proof paper and give a quick rub with a drop of oil.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Grate the carrots.
- Add the oil, brown sugar, carrots and raisins into the mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Sift the self raising flour into the bowl, followed by the salt, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and mixed spice into the bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and place in the oven for approximately 1hr 15 minutes.
- Check that a skewer comes out clean and transfer to a wire rack to cool. (Keep it in the tin for the first 10 minutes before turning out onto the rack)
Prepare the icing
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together in a bowl using a metal spoon.
- Add the vanilla essence and half the grated zests.
- Sift the icing sugar and mix until the icing is smooth.
- Spread the icing over the cooled cake.
- Top with the remaining lemon zest
Make sure you store the cake somewhere cool to prevent the cream cheese icing from running or spoiling.
To be fair, it probably won’t hang around long enough to spoil – everyone will be after a slice!
#Easydoughsy #recipe #blog #Aberdeenshire #baking #Scotland #cake #carrotcake #bakingmadeeasy #stepbystep #homebake #homemade #homebaking #blogger #Aberdeenshirebloggers #Scottishbloggers